If you have wondered how to make Texas style chili, it is not hard at all. This Texas chili recipe has no beans and consists of cubed steak and bacon. A lot of the flavor comes from various seasonings such as ancho chili powder, chipotle chili powder, cumin, and oregano. The bacon is cooked first and then the cubed steak is cooked right in the bacon grease for an amazing flavor. This is prepared on the stovetop and is simmered for about 2 hours. This is a perfect recipe to serve for the playoffs or the upcoming super bowl. This chili is great topped with cheddar cheese, sour cream and green onion. I served this chili with cornbread for dipping. Enjoy.
How to Make Texas Chili
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 (3 pound) boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed of fat and cut into 1 inch cubes
- Kosher salt
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 jalapeno peppers (minced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- ½ tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup lager beer
- 32 ounces low-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups water
- Shredded cheddar (for serving)
- Sour cream (for serving)
- Chopped green onions (for serving)
- In a large pot cook the bacon over medium-heat until crisp. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add the beef cubes to the hot bacon fat and sear until browned on all sides. Season with salt, remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add the onion, jalapeno pepper, and garlic to the pot and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste, ancho chili powder, chipotle chili powder, oregano, and cumin. Stir until combined. Return the beef and bacon to the pot and add crushed tomatoes, beef, beef broth and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer. Simmer until the meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and green onion.